Heat Pumps
Posted On: Wednesday, 21 May 2008

New Zealand Herald, Wednesday 21 May 2008

It has been drawn to the Electrical Workers Registration Board’s attention that electrical circuitry and connections associated with the installation of heat pumps may be being carried out by persons who are not authorised to undertake such work.

The Board is concerned that the public may be put at risk if electrical work is carried out in a non compliant manner and the Board recommends that homeowners who have electrical work carrier out ask to see an electrical worker’s practising license as electrical jobs can go drastically wrong if done by unqualified people.

A practising licence holder is a professional, who is registered by the Board and is legally allowed to do electrical work.  He/she is up to date on current safety procedures and has access to electrical standards.

Electrical registration and licensing ensure your safety because a worker can not be registered without appropriate training, and this does not just include training in electrical practices, but also in safe working practices.  For example, all practising license holders have basic first aid and CPR training, in case of an accident.

The Board was established to ensure the safety of electrical work undertaken and that electrical workers are competent and accountable for their work.  It can also take action against unregistered people found to be doing electrical work without authority.  But, the onus is firstly on the homeowner to make sure an unlicensed person does not work on their home or appliances.

  • Ask for a Certificate of Compliance

Electrical workers are required by law to issue a Certificate of Compliance to customers when they install any “fixed” wiring work, including any fittings (e.g. power points) that are connected to that wiring.

A Certificate of Compliance is the public assurance that the electrical work carried out complies with the safety requirements.  Make sure you get a copy.

  • Ask for an Electrical Safety Certificate

When you have maintenance work done, or an electrical appliance repaired, ask to see an Electrical Safety Certificate.  This small blue sticker assures you that your appliance has been tested and is safe.  Only practicing license holders can issue you with an electrical safety certificate.

  • If you have a problem

Licensed electrical workers are professionals and are there to do the job safely and correctly.  If you have a problem with electrical work that has been carried out by a licensed person, contact them first to see if the problem can be resolved.

In the unlikely event that the problem can not be resolved, you can make a complaint about dangerous or faulty electrical work.

If you are worried about any electrical work you have had done, phone 0800 66 1000 for assistance and advice. 

Current News Articles
Archived News Articles
Download our Free Booklet Free Consultation and Quote

To arrange a free no-obligation in-home consultation and quote, click here

Visit the Showroom
website developed by digitalstream